Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Today we did an activity sheet in group-projects called "Circumference versus Diameter." It was about circumference, radius, and diameter formulas. We measured some of the stuff Mrs. Roxanne brought over including some lids, containers, and even an easy-button using a yard/metric-stick. We measured the items by centimeters. We determined the radius, the circumference, and the distance of each of the objects. We also went over formulas including how the circumference, radius, and diameter are related. We recorded the data on a table and then we answered the questions using the formulas.

We did another activity called "Right or Not?" It was a group activity and we used a bunch of square-tiles to determine the areas of angles. We use three different-shaped square tiles to form a triangle. We would then determine if the triangle was obtuse, right, or an acute angle.We then filled in another table. We add the area of the smallest square and third squares to find the areas of the two smaller squares. We then make up the numbers for the areas of the smallest squares and the areas of the third squares. In the next page we have to determine the angles based on the descriptions of the length of the sides. I thought it was very interesting how three squared tiles of different lengths can form different sized-triangles.

Here is a website that further explains the formulas of a circle:

This is a video about the formulas for circles:


1 comment:

  1. Hey Richard!
    I really enjoyed doing this activity in class. It was super helpful and I love having hands on activities to do! It helps me understand it so much better. I also liek the video that you posted! I never even thought of posting videos onto my blog but I wish I had!

    ReplyDelete