Monday, November 26, 2012

Tessellations


Today we did some Geogebra activities. Following the procedures on work-sheets, we traced the angles along the x and y-axis and created a triangle. We then drew a second triangle using this weird method by clicking a button that enables us to make a copy of the triangle that originates from a certain point. We then did the same thing for the second activity only this time we had to make a reflection of the angle across the x-axis. The last work-sheet was the most confusing. Following the procedures, we had to draw a new triangle and then find the pre-images and reflections of each of the x and y-axis. On another table we had to find the x and y-coordinates using the horizontal line-slider and the vertical line-slider. I was really stumped because it was also confusing. I had to keep track of which triangles were the original and second triangles.

The professor showed us some art-works about tessellation. There were images made up of similar patterns that it was almost like an optical illusion. She also showed us a math video from “Cyberchase.” The topic was about tessellation. In this video an artist finds how he can move around similar objects to create a large object. But they all must be the same shape and they cannot over-lap or form gaps. Tessellation is a pattern made by repeating a regular polygon. They can be moved around using translation, rotation, and reflection.

http://www.mathsisfun.com/geometry/tessellation.html
Here is a very helpful link that further explains the methods of tessellation. There are different shapes and patterns. Notice how they are allowed to have more than one shape.
http://www.mathsisfun.com/geometry/tessellation.html
  

This is a really cool slide-show on tessellations:

3 comments:

  1. I don't know what it is about tessellations, but I am always fascinated by them. I also had a rough time with the last worksheet in class too. It takes practice I guess. I really liked how you gave definitions within your post. I also really enjoyed the video that you posted. I have to say the elephant one was my favorite. Thank you for such an excellent post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard,

    I really liked the tessellations video you posted. I always liked drawing tessellations as a kid, and watching the video made me want to do it again! I was kind of confused by the last worksheet we did in class. I understand we were supposed to understand the relationship between the (x,y) coordinates of reflected shapes, but I'm not sure when I would be able to explain that idea to any students. I had a hard enough time figuring it out myself! Great post!

    -Kate Makris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only do I like the video of the tessellations, but your whole blog is very awesome and full of information.. Since I missed class on Monday I had to do these worksheets by myself and to be honest I probably wouldn't have even tried without your post!

    David Gutierrez

    ReplyDelete